A Great American Road Trip on one of America’s Byways
The Great Lakes Seaway Trail stretches over 500 miles from Massena, NY to the Ohio state line near Erie, PA. The signed driving route connects historic villages and vibrant cities with scenic landscapes and diverse destinations along the St. Lawrence River, Lake Ontario, the Niagara River and Lake Erie.
The Great Lakes Seaway Trail is extremely proud to have been selected as one of America’s Byways by the U.S. Department of Transportation. America’s Byways “possess outstanding qualities that exemplify the regional characteristics of our nation.” The Great Lakes Seaway Trail was chosen for its unique landscape which has been sculpted by the forces of nature and for its historical significance.
The mission of the Great Lakes Seaway Trail Inc. is to increase tourism revenues and to enhance the economic well-being and quality of life for travelers, communities, and members throughout the Great Lakes Seaway Trail by managing and marketing it as the leading scenic byway.
The Great Lakes Seaway Trail Inc. is nationally recognized as a leader for reinvigorating the Great Lakes Seaway Trail as a premier travel destination. By realizing our full potential, we are one of the best well-known, traveled, and loved byways of America.
- Pursue an increased but stable rate of economic development and growth of the tourism industry throughout the Seaway Trail region
- Protect and enhance the scenic, natural and cultural resources of the Seaway Trail region
- Develop the Seaway Trail region as a high quality experience for recreation and vacations.
- Travelers Signage – Over 150 resource sites have received Great Lakes Seaway Trail interpretive panels that “tell the story of that specific site”.
- Publications – annual Journey magazine and guidebook series
- Planning – Tourism Development Plans for Seaway Trail regions, Byway Interpretation Plan, Conservation Plan (under development)
- Marketing – ongoing domestic and international public relations and travel trade initiatives, including targeted niche markets.
- Exhibits – we produce a new traveling exhibit each year that then travels to other venues to promote the trail.